Quick Pickled Pearl Onions
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
As an unconventional accompaniment to his juicy grilled chicken, Thomas Keller likes to serve pickled pearl onions, which add a sweet, tart bite. The vinegary mixture is great for pickling other vegetables, like baby carrots and Kirby cucumbers.
- 16 white pearl onions (about 1 cup), root ends trimmed and scored with an X
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- In a medium saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the pearl onions until just tender, about 8 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again. Transfer the onions to a glass bowl.
- Meanwhile, in another medium saucepan, bring the water and vinegar to a boil with the sugar, mustard seeds, coriander seeds and peppercorns. Boil until the sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Pour the liquid over the onions and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days. Drain before serving.