- 2 pounds fresh okra, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 whole dried red chile peppers
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice berries
How to make this recipe
- Divide the okra evenly between 3 pint jars. Place 1 dried chile pepper, 2 cloves of garlic, and 1 cinnamon stick into each jar.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the sugar, 2 tablespoons kosher salt, water, vinegar, cloves, and allspice berries for the brine. Once the mixture has reached a rolling boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring until the sugar and salt have fully dissolved. Pour as evenly as possible into the jars. Allow to cool to room temperature and then refrigerate. Enjoy when chilled, or for up to two weeks.
Cut okra absorbs flavor more quickly than whole okra, but if you won't be eating them right away, and want to avoid the "okra slime," use 1 1/2 pounds of whole okra instead of 2 pounds of cut okra.