- 1 pound Kirby cucumbers, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch spears
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Korean red chile flakes or 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons thinly sliced strips of peeled fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried shrimp (optional), minced
- 1 small carrot and 1 scallion, thinly sliced into 2-inch matchsticks
- 1/4 small onion, thinly sliced
In a colander, toss the cucumbers with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 tablespoon of the sugar and let stand for 10 minutes.
In a bowl, mix the remaining 1 1/4 teaspoons of salt and 2 tablespoons of sugar with the chile flakes, ginger, garlic, fish sauce, soy sauce and dried shrimp. Toss in the carrot, scallion, onion and cucumbers. Arrange the cucumbers in a shallow dish, spooning the shredded vegetables and liquid on top. Let stand for 15 minutes, turning once or twice, then serve.