- 1 garlic clove
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pure chile powder, such as ancho
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds, ground in a spice grinder
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- On a work surface, use the flat side of a chef's knife to mash the garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt. Scrape the garlic paste into a small bowl and stir in the tomato paste and lemon juice. Add the chile powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, cumin and caraway. Gradually stir in the oil and season with salt.
The harissa can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
Stews, grilled meats and roasted vegetables.
Contributed By Grace Parisi Photo Published