- 2 pounds Kirby cucumbers, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup untoasted sesame oil
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Thai or sweet basil
- 2 tablespoons gochugaru (Korean coarse red pepper powder; see Note)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian fish sauce
How to make this recipe
In a colander, toss the sliced cucumbers with 1 tablespoon of kosher salt and let stand for 20 minutes. Rinse the cucumbers and drain well.
In a large bowl, toss the cucumbers with all of the remaining ingredients and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Season the kimchi with salt and serve.