- 1 head Napa cabbage (about 1 1/2 pounds), outer leaves removed, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cut into 2’ inch pieces
- 1/4 cup Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey or agave
- 3 tablespoons hot chili paste
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, freshly grated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
How to make this recipe
- Combine the cabbage and cucumbers in a colander. Add the salt and mix well. Place the colander over a bowl and let drain, covered, and until wilted, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, combine the rice vinegar, sweetener, chili paste, grated ginger, and garlic into a large bowl and stir. Rinse off the salt from the cabbage. Pat dry and add to the vinegar mixture; stir well to combine. Add the sliced scallions and mix to incorporate. Put the kimchi into a sterilized glass jar and pack the cabbage and cucumbers down; add enough water to cover. Close the jar and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. May add or subtract chili paste to taste.
Store in an airtight jar for up to 3 weeks.