- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground lamb
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 medium sweet potato (1/2 pound), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk, stirred
- 1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen baby peas, thawed
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- Hot sauce, for serving
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook over moderately high heat until barely softened, about 4 minutes. Add the lamb and cook over moderately high heat, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until it starts to brown, about 10 minutes. Add the curry powder and sweet potato and cook for 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk and stock and season with salt and pepper. Cover partially and simmer over moderate heat until the sweet potato is tender, about 15 minutes. Add the peas and cook until heated through. Stir in the cilantro and serve with hot sauce.
The lamb curry can be refrigerated overnight; reheat gently before serving.
Warm nan or white rice.