- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup seltzer or club soda
- Canola oil, for brushing
- In a food processor, combine all of the ingredients except the seltzer and canola oil and puree until smooth. Scrape the batter into a large bowl and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Whisk 1/3 cup of the seltzer into the batter; it should have the consistency of pancake batter; add a bit more seltzer if the batter is too thick.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over moderate heat until very hot. Brush with oil. Spoon tablespoon-size mounds of batter into the hot skillet and cook until bubbles form on the surface and the blini are browned on the bottom, about 1 minute. Flip the blini and cook for 30 seconds longer. Transfer the blini to a baking sheet. Brush the skillet with oil as needed and repeat with the remaining batter, layering the cooked blini on the baking sheet. Serve the blini warm or at room temperature.
The blini can be stored in an airtight container overnight; serve warm or at room temperature.
Gravlax-Style Salmon Tartare with Dill Oil, salmon roe, sour cream, smoked fish, such as salmon and sable, or fruit jam.