Quadruple Chocolate Brownies
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: makes 4 dozen 2-inch brownies
Inspired by aromatic spices like sesame and pink peppercorn, and herbs like tarragon, San Francisco chocolatier Michael Recchiuti of Recchiuti Confections searches local farmers' markets for the absolute freshest ingredients. Beyond truffles, Recchiuti creates all kinds of fun, homey chocolate desserts (like s'mores), the recipes for which appear in his stunning cookbook, Chocolate Obsession. However, he didn't choose to share the recipe for his four-chocolate brownies—until now. By swirling chunks of white, milk and bittersweet chocolate into a batter made with unsweetened chocolate, then melting and drizzling more all over the top, Recchiuti says this sweet has "all the chocolates I like in one brownie."
- 1 1/4 pounds (5 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 pound unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 5 1/2 cups sugar
- 16 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pound bittersweet chocolate, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound white chocolate, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound milk chocolate, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- Preheat the oven to 300°. Line the bottoms of two 9-by-13-inch baking pans with parchment paper. In a large saucepan, melt the butter with the unsweetened chocolate over low heat, stirring frequently, until melted. In a large bowl, whisk the sugar with the eggs, vanilla and salt. Add the melted chocolate and whisk until smooth. Add the flour and whisk until incorporated. Stir in 5 ounces of each of the chopped chocolates. Spread the batter in the prepared pans.
- Place the remaining chopped chocolates separately in 3 small microwave-safe bowls and melt. Using a spoon, drizzle the melted chocolates over the batter. Using a table knife, make swirls in the batter for a marbled effect. Bake the brownies for about 35 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through, until the tops are shiny and the brownies are set.
- Transfer the brownies to a wire rack to cool completely before cutting into squares.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.