- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- One 35-ounce can whole peeled Italian tomatoes with their juices, crushed by hand
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 basil sprigs
- 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoons capers, drained
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add the garlic, anchovies and crushed red pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the canned tomatoes with their juices. Stir in the sugar, basil, olives and capers. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer the sauce over low heat, stirring occasionally, until it thickens and is reduced to 3 cups, about 30 minutes. Season again with salt and pepper. Discard the basil sprigs and garlic.
The sauce can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.