- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: makes 1 drink
Scott Morrison's mixologist friend Cyrus Keyhari created this recipe for Socialista, a trendy Havana-themed restaurant and nightclub in Manhattan's West Village. The name of this margarita-like cocktail means "the point of grapefruit," referring to Keyhari's belief that citrus-based cocktails have an affinity for spicy food.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cinnamon stick, broken
- 3 whole cloves
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh grapefruit juice
- 1/4 cup silver tequila
- 1 cherry, for garnish (optional)
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, water, cinnamon stick, cloves and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Let cool, then strain.
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the lime juice, grapefruit juice, tequila and 2 tablespoons of the spiced simple syrup. Shake well and strain into an ice-filled collins glass. Garnish with a cherry, if desired.