- 1 1/8 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups water, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups plus 1 1/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/3 cups toasted pumpkin seeds (6 ounces)
- Dissolve 1/8 teaspoon of the yeast in 1 cup of the water. Stir in 1 3/4 cups of the flour. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand overnight in a warm spot.
- Dissolve the remaining 1 teaspoon of yeast in 1/4 cup of the water. Put 1 cup of the cornmeal in a large heatproof bowl. Bring the remaining 1/4 cup of water to a boil, then stir it into the cornmeal and let cool. Stir in the salt, both yeast mixtures and the remaining 1 1/3 cups of flour to make a soft dough. Transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 15 minutes. Knead in the pumpkin seeds. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour.
- Turn the dough out onto a work surface and gently fold 4 times. Return the dough to the bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal. Turn the dough out onto a work surface and divide in half. Shape each half into a round loaf. Set the loaves on the baking sheet and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Set a pizza stone on the middle rack of the oven and preheat the oven to 500°. Fill a roasting pan with water and set it on the bottom rack. Make 3 slashes in the tops of the loaves; transfer them to the stone and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 450° and bake for 20 minutes longer. Let the loaves cool on a rack for 45 minutes before slicing into eighths.
One Slice: Calories 194 kcal, Total Fat 5.7 gm, Saturated Fat 1 gm.