- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 pounds pumpkin, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 5 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage, or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried
- 3 cups light cream
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- Black-Pepper Croutons, optional
How to make this recipe
In a large pot, heat the butter over moderately low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add the pumpkin, stock, salt and dried sage, if using. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the pumpkin is tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the fresh sage, if using, and simmer 5 minutes longer.
Puree the soup in a blender or food processor until smooth. Strain the puree back into the pot and add the cream. Stir in the pepper. Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes. Top with the remaining 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, if using, and croutons, if you like.