Pumpkin Pecan Tart
- SERVINGS: 10
At the Café Latte in St. Paul, Minnesota, Sherry Fahey makes a dessert that's like a pecan pie and pumpkin pie rolled into one.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 sticks (1/2 pound) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- One 15-ounce can pumpkin puree (1 2/3 cups)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups pecan halves (about 6 1/2 ounces)
- In a food processor, pulse together the flour and sugar. Add the butter and pulse until the dough can be gathered into a ball. On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough into a 9-inch log. Divide the log into a 5-inch piece for the sides of the shell and a 4-inch piece for the base. Pat the 4-inch piece into a 6-inch disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Wrap the 5-inch log separately. Refrigerate the dough until chilled, about 1 hour or overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the disk evenly into a 10-inch round. Press the dough into the base of a 10-inch springform pan. Divide the log of dough in half crosswise and roll each piece into a 13-inch rope. Fit the ropes into the pan around the base and join the ends to make one continuous rope of dough. With your fingers, evenly press the dough 2 inches up the sides of the pan, forming a seamless shell. Refrigerate the shell.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Set a large heavy baking sheet on the lowest shelf of the oven to preheat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, cloves and ginger.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, flour and salt.
- Stir the pumpkin filling and pour it into the pastry shell; arrange the pecans on top. Stir the topping and pour it over the pecans. Bake the tart on the preheated baking sheet for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cover loosely with foil and bake for about 15 minutes longer, or until the filling in the center looks set when you lift a pecan. Cool on a rack before serving.
Make AheadThe tart can be refrigerated for up to 1 day.