Pumpkin Muffins with Oats and Orange Marmalade
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12 muffins
Orange marmalade gives these homey muffins a unique flavor, and the whole grains make them a more virtuous alternative to cupcake-like pumpkin muffins.
Slideshow: Great Recipes for Breakfast Muffins
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- MAKE THE MUFFINS Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick baking spray. In the bowl of a large food processor, combine both flours with the oats, sugar, baking powder, salt and ginger. Pulse for 10 seconds. Add the pumpkin puree, marmalade, buttermilk, vinegar and vanilla and pulse several times to combine. Scrape down the side of the bowl. Add the oil, butter and eggs and process until fully incorporated, about 10 seconds.
- MAKE THE TOPPING In a small bowl, mix the oats with the sugar and butter.
- Fill the prepared pan with heaping 3-tablespoon-size scoops of batter. Sprinkle on the oat topping. Bake in the center of the oven for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn them out onto a rack to cool completely. Serve the muffins slightly warm or at room temperature.
Make Ahead The cooled muffins can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days.