- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- One 15-ounce can pure pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoons light miso
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Nori strips, for garnish
How to make this recipe
- In a large pot, heat the toasted sesame oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and sweat for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 3 minutes. Add the pumpkin puree, miso, broth and soy sauce, stirring to incorporate, then season with salt and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, then remove from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender (or use an immersion blender in the pot) and puree until smooth. If needed, add additional water or broth to reach the desired consistency. Return the mixture to the saucepan. Serve warm and garnish with nori.
Like most soups, this one is even better made the day before. Reheat before serving.