Pumpkin and Apple Tart with Ginger
- SERVINGS: MAKES ONE 11-INCH TART
This luscious dessert pairs two Thanksgiving favorites—pumpkin and apple—in a sophisticated tart spiked with fresh and ground ginger, allspice, and black pepper.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1stick (4 ounces) plus 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, diced and chilled
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 cups unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 Granny Smith apples—peeled, halved, cored and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 amaretti cookies, coarsely crumbled (about 1/3 cup)
- In a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, salt and lemon zest; pulse to mix. Add the butter and pulse until it is in pea-size pieces. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and drizzle on 1/4 cup of the ice water; add more if the dough seems dry. Knead briefly to blend. Pat the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 15-inch round. Fit the dough into an 11-inch tart pan with a removable bottom; without stretching the dough, press it into the side. Trim the overhang to 1/2 inch and fold it in to reinforce the side.
- Line the shell with foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Set the pan on a baking sheet and bake for about 25 minutes, or until the side of the pastry is lightly colored. Remove the weights and foil and bake for about 5 minutes, or until the base of the shell is golden. Transfer to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 400°.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs with the brown sugar until light, about 2 minutes. Add the pumpkin puree, cream, fresh ginger, 1 1/2 tablespoons of the lemon juice, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the cinnamon, the salt, vanilla, ground ginger, pepper and allspice. Beat until thoroughly blended.
- In a bowl, toss the apples with the granulated sugar, the butter, and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Pour the pumpkin custard into the cooled tart shell. Starting at the outside, overlap the apple slices in concentric circles over the pumpkin filling. Bake for about 1 hour, or until the apples are tender and golden and the custard is set in the center. Let cool completely, then sprinkle with the amaretti crumbs.
Serve With Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.