- 2 garlic cloves, thickly sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 jalapeño, seeded
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 head of Bibb lettuce, torn into large pieces
- 4 cups reserved shredded capon (1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 bunch of watercress (6 ounces), thick stems discarded
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, cut into 1-inch cubes
- In a small skillet, cook the garlic in the olive oil over moderately low heat until fragrant and soft, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender and let cool. Add the shallot, lemon juice and zest, lime juice and zest, jalapeño, vinegar and wine to the blender and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer 1 tablespoon of the dressing to a large bowl. Add the Bibb lettuce and toss to coat. Arrange the lettuce on a platter. Add the capon and watercress to the bowl along with the onion, avocado and the remaining dressing and toss. Mound the capon salad over the lettuce and serve right away.
The dressing can be refrigerated overnight.
For this spicy variation on a classic chicken salad, try a rosado, as rosé wines are typically known in Spain. Predominantly made from the Tempranillo grape (just as red Riojas are), rosado Riojas typically have sweet berry fruit flavors that will cool the jalapeño heat here.