- 2 pounds lean ground sirloin
- 8 strips applewood-smoked bacon
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, plus more for serving
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 kaiser rolls, split
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces Danish blue cheese, sliced
- Sliced ripe Hass avocado
- Bibb lettuce leaves
- Red onion slices
How to make this recipe
- Light a grill. Form the meat into 4 large patties about 1 inch thick. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat until crisp, 6 minutes; drain on paper towels. In a bowl, mix the 1/2 cup of mayonnaise with the garlic; season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the cut sides of the rolls with 2 tablespoons of the oil and lightly toast on the grill. Brush the burgers with the remaining oil and season well with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat for 3 minutes; flip and top with the cheese. Cook for 3 more minutes for medium-rare. Spread the bottom roll halves with the garlic mayonnaise. Top with a burger, bacon, avocado, lettuce and onion and serve.