- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 baking potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 425°F. In a large cast-iron or heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat until hot, then stir in the onion, garlic, carrots, potato, 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook, until incorporated, about 2 minutes. Pour in the stock and bring to a boil, then stir in the chicken. Season the filling with salt and pepper to taste.
Place the filling in a 2 1/2-to 3-quart soufflé dish. Trim the puff pastry into an 8-inch square and place it over the soufflé dish. Brush the puff pastry with some of the egg mixture, then cut a steam vent in the pastry. Bake until the filling is bubbling and the pastry is golden, about 30 minutes.