- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, stemmed and quartered
- 1 white onion, peeled and quartered
- 8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 1/4 cup plus one tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 1/4 cup pitted green olives
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 500º. Drizzle the bell pepper, onion and garlic with one tablespoon of olive oil and place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast until the edges of the vegetables begin to blacken. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Peel the garlic and add to a blender with the bell pepper, onion, olive oil, lime juice and zest, olives, cilantro, oregano and cumin. Season with salt and pepper and pulse until finely processed.
Puerto Rican sofrito can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to one week.