- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: makes about 1 1/3 cups
This sweet-tart condiment reveals Grant Achatz's love of dark fruits and fennel-like flavors such as star anise. It's a great complement to highly seasoned meats, like meat loaf and sausages, and simply cooked duck and pork.
- 1 cup pitted prunes
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 star anise pod
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, combine all of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until prunes are very soft, about 20 minutes. Discard the star anise pod.
- Puree the ketchup in a food processor. Transfer to a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
Make AheadThe ketchup can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.