- One 1-inch-thick slice of provolone cheese (1/2 pound)
- 2 tablespoons small oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 grape tomatoes, halved
- Sea salt
- Basil leaves, for garnish
- Crusty bread, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Heat a cast-iron skillet until hot. Add the cheese and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the oregano and 1/4 teaspoon of the crushed red pepper. Cook over moderate heat until the cheese begins to melt and brown on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Flip the cheese and cook until the bottom begins to melt and brown, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle all over with the remaining 1 tablespoon of oregano and 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper and top with the grape tomatoes. Bake until the cheese is melted and the tomatoes are warmed through, about 4 minutes. Season with sea salt and garnish with basil. Serve with bread.
This crusty provoleta is so rich that it's best with a sparkling wine to refresh your palate.