- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick plus 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 3 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 small yellow bell pepper—cored, seeded and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4 inch wedges
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small Japanese eggplant, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 small zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped basil
- 2 ounces thinly sliced Tomme de Savoie or imported Fontina cheese
How to make this recipe
- make the tart shell In a food processor, combine the 1 3/4 cups of flour with the salt. Add the butter cubes and pulse 5 times in 1-second bursts. Add the ice water and pulse until the dough comes together, then turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and knead briefly. Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for about 30 minutes, until firm.
- make the tart shell Preheat the oven to 375°. On a floured work surface, roll out the dough to a 6-by-16-inch rectangle, a scant1/4 inch thick. Ease the pastry into a 4-by-14-inch tart mold and trim the overhang to 1/2 inch. Fold the overhang over to reinforce the edges. Freeze the tart shell for about 15 minutes, until firm.
- make the tart shell Line the tart shell with parchment paper and pie weights and bake in the center of the oven for 35 minutes, until set. Remove the parchment and weights and bake for about 10 minutes longer, until golden. Let cool.
- meanwhile, make the filling Drizzle a baking sheet with olive oil. In a bowl, toss the bell pepper and onion with 1/2 tablespoon of the oil, season with salt and pepper and arrange on one-quarter of the baking sheet. Add the eggplant to the bowl, toss with 1/2 tablespoon of the oil, season with salt and pepper and arrange on another quarter of the baking sheet. Repeat with the zucchini and tomatoes, using 1/2 tablespoon of oil for each.
- meanwhile, make the filling Roast the vegetables for about 45 minutes, turning once, until tender. Let cool slightly, then return them to the bowl. Add the vinegar, herbs and the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil and toss; season with salt and pepper.
- meanwhile, make the filling Arrange the vegetables in the tart shell, tuck in the cheese slices and serve.
Bright, light-bodied red.