- 4 pounds tuna steaks, cut 1-inch thick
- Pure olive oil for brushing, plus more for frying
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup finely chopped cornichons
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped black olives
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- All-purpose flour, for dusting
- Marinated Cabbage Slaw
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the broiler. Brush the tuna steaks on both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Broil half the tuna steaks for 2 minutes per side, until just rare. Repeat with the remaining tuna steaks. Let the tuna cool to room temperature, then finely chop it with a knife.
- In a large bowl, combine the tuna with the cornichons, red onion, dill, capers and olives. Fold in 1 cup of the mayonnaise and the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Form the tuna into 10 burgers and transfer to a baking sheet. Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining 1 cup of mayonnaise with the Dijon and dry mustards. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate the mustard mayonnaise until it is ready to use.
- Dust the tuna burgers with flour. Heat 1/4 inch of olive oil in each of 2 large skillets until shimmering. Add 3 or 4 burgers to each skillet and cook over moderately high heat until browned and crisp, about 3 minutes per side for medium. Drain the tuna burgers on paper towels and cook the remaining burgers in 1 skillet. Serve the tuna burgers with the mustard mayonnaise. Pass the Marinated Cabbage Slaw separately.
The recipe can be prepared through Step 3 and refrigerated overnight.