Provençal-Style Calamari Salad with Gremolata
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper
- 1 pound cleaned small calamari, preferably bodies only, cut into 1/3-inch rings
- 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced lemon zest
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 pound arugula
- 1/4 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup Niçoise olives, pitted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped capers
- 1 small shallot, minced
- Roast the red and yellow bell peppers directly over a gas flame or under the broiler until they are charred all over. Transfer the peppers to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let cool. Peel, core and seed the peppers, then cut them into 1/2-inch dice.
- Prepare an ice water bath. In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the calamari over high heat until white and firm, about 1 minute. Drain and chill in the ice bath. Drain and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, whisk the red wine vinegar with the anchovy paste and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in the olive oil until the vinaigrette is emulsified.
- On a work surface, mince the parsley with the minced lemon zest and garlic. Transfer the gremolata to a bowl.
- In a large bowl, toss the arugula with 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper and arrange on a large platter. Add the remaining vinaigrette to the bowl and toss with the roasted peppers, calamari, sun-dried tomatoes, olives, capers, shallot, and 3 tablespoons of the gremolata. Season the salad with salt and pepper and spoon over the arugula. Sprinkle with the remaining gremolata and serve.
The tangy olives and rich sun-dried tomatoes blend best with a zesty Provençal white.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.