© Lucas Allen
Provençal Leg of Lamb
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR plus 24 hr marinating
- SERVINGS: 8
- One 6-pound boneless leg of lamb, butterflied
- 1 bottle dry red wine
- 12 rosemary sprigs, broken
- 12 thyme sprigs
- Zest strips removed from 1/2 an orange
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Put the lamb into a 2-gallon resealable plastic bag. Add the wine, rosemary, thyme, zest, shallots, peppercorns and lavender. Seal the bag, pressing out the air. Turn to coat the lamb. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to 48 hours, turning the bag occasionally.
- Drain the lamb, picking off any solids from the marinade. Return to room temperature.
- Light a grill and oil the grates. Brush the lamb with oil and season with salt. Grill over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 125° for medium-rare meat, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer the lamb to a board and let rest for 10 minutes. Thinly slice the meat against the grain and serve.
Serve WithGrilled onions and squash.
Peppery, herb-scented Cabernet Franc.