© Christina Holmes
Prosciutto-Wrapped Asparagus with Lemony Bread Crumbs
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Michael Chiarello cooks these asparagus twice: The first time early in the grilling session; the second time right before serving, after they’re wrapped in prosciutto.
Slideshow: Amazing Ideas for Asparagus
- 1 pound thin asparagus
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup plain dry bread crumbs or panko
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 12 thin slices of prosciutto
- Light a hardwood charcoal fire. Brush the asparagus with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the asparagus over moderately high heat, turning, until lightly charred and almost tender, 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small cast-iron skillet, heat the 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the bread crumbs and garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the crumbs are golden and crisp, 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly, then stir in the Parmigiano-Reggiano, parsley and lemon zest; season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the asparagus into 6 even piles. On a work surface, arrange the prosciutto slices in 6 pairs, overlapping slightly. Set an asparagus pile on each prosciutto pair and roll up.
- Grill the bundles over moderately high heat, turning, until the asparagus are tender and the prosciutto is crisp, 4 minutes. Transfer to a platter. Sprinkle the lemony bread crumbs on top and serve.
Bubbly, fruity prosecco is a simple pairing for complex starters.