Prosciutto and Mozzarella Heros with Olive Relish
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Marcia Kiesel's hero layers prosciutto and mozzarella with tomato, pickled peppers and arugula. An olive relish with crunchy slices of celery gives the sandwich an invigorating bite. For Rob Howard, who developed a taste for strong, salty flavors as a child visiting the countries of the Mediterranean, the olives and capers are a wonderful addition.
Fast Pork Recipes
- 3 large celery ribs, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 3/4 cup pitted mixed black and green olives, chopped (4 1/2 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarsely chopped capers
- 1/4 cup plus 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Six 6-inch-long hero rolls, split
- 12 large arugula leaves
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced prosciutto
- 3/4 pound fresh lightly salted mozzarella, cut into 12 slices
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into 6 slices each
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced pickled peppers, preferably spicy
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a medium bowl, toss the celery, olives, parsley and capers and stir in the olive oil.
- Spread the rolls open on a cookie sheet and bake for about 3 minutes, or until lightly crisp. Arrange 2 arugula leaves on the bottom half of each roll and top with 2 ounces of prosciutto, 2 mozzarella slices and 3 tomato slices. Top each sandwich with a layer of pickled peppers and about 1/4 cup of the olive relish. Close the heroes and serve at once.