- 3 large celery ribs, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 3/4 cup pitted mixed black and green olives, chopped (4 1/2 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarsely chopped capers
- 1/4 cup plus 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Six 6-inch-long hero rolls, split
- 12 large arugula leaves
- 3/4 pound thinly sliced prosciutto
- 3/4 pound fresh lightly salted mozzarella, cut into 12 slices
- 3 large tomatoes, cut into 6 slices each
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced pickled peppers, preferably spicy
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 425°. In a medium bowl, toss the celery, olives, parsley and capers and stir in the olive oil.
- Spread the rolls open on a cookie sheet and bake for about 3 minutes, or until lightly crisp. Arrange 2 arugula leaves on the bottom half of each roll and top with 2 ounces of prosciutto, 2 mozzarella slices and 3 tomato slices. Top each sandwich with a layer of pickled peppers and about 1/4 cup of the olive relish. Close the heroes and serve at once.
The relish can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.