- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces hard pretzels, crushed
- 2 large egg whites
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 pound cleaned small squid, bodies cut crosswise into 1/2-inch rings, tentacles halved
How to make this recipe
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with both mustards and the lemon juice; season with salt and pepper.
- In a food processor or blender, pulse the pretzels until they resemble cornmeal. Transfer to a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 inch of vegetable oil to 350°. Set a rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Working in four batches, dip the squid in the egg; press out any excess egg. Dredge the squid in the pretzel crumbs and shake off any excess. Fry the squid in the hot oil until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the squid to the rack. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Transfer the squid to a platter and serve right away, with the mustard dipping sauce.
Contributed By Jean-Georges Vongerichten