Praline-Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- ACTIVE: 10 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes about 1 1/2 quarts
- 2 cups whole milk or half-and-half
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons praline paste
- 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Prepare an ice water bath and set a stainless steel bowl in it. In a saucepan, simmer the milk with the vanilla bean and seeds. In a bowl, whisk the yolks and sugar. Slowly whisk in half of the hot milk. Pour back into the saucepan and cook over moderate heat, whisking until thickened, about 6 minutes. Strain the custard into the bowl in the ice water bath and stir in the heavy cream; chill.
- Transfer the custard to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. When the ice cream is set, add the praline paste and chocolate chips to the ice cream maker and churn until evenly distributed. Transfer the ice cream to a plastic container and freeze until serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.