- 1 1/2 ounces London dry gin
- 1 1/2 ounces French dry vermouth, such as Dolin
- 1 1/2 ounces cold water
- 1/4 ounce maraschino liqueur
- 1/4 ounce chilled verjus (see Note)
- 3 dashes of orange bitters
- 2 dashes of absinthe verte
- 1 tablespoon cassia chips (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon minced dried lemon peel
- 1 lemon twist
- 1 grapefruit twist
How to make this recipe
In a mixing glass, combine the gin, vermouth, water, maraschino liqueur, verjus, bitters and absinthe. Fill the glass with ice and stir well.
In a ramekin, combine the cassia chips and dried lemon peel. Carefully light them with a long-handled match. The spices will start to smoke. Invert a white wine glass over the ramekin and allow the smoke to season the inside of the glass for 20 to 30 seconds.
Strain the drink into the prepared wineglass. Pinch the lemon and then the grapefruit twists over the drink and discard them.
Verjus, the tart juice pressed from unripe grapes, is available at specialty food stores. Cassia chips, cinnamon-flavored bark from Asia, are available from kalustyans.com.