Potato Skins with Broccoli Pesto
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Broiled instead of deep-fried, and filled with a nutrient-packed pesto made from broccoli and fresh herbs, these potato skins are extra healthy. Toss any leftover pesto with pasta or use as a sandwich spread. Peel and shred the broccoli stems for slaw.
- 2 medium russet potatoes
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Scrub the potatoes and prick all over with a fork. Microwave at high heat for 8 minutes, or until tender throughout. Alternatively, bake the potatoes in a 350° oven for about 1 hour. Transfer the potatoes to a work surface and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the broccoli until tender and bright green, about 4 minutes. Drain the broccoli, reserving some of the cooking liquid.
- In a food processer, process the garlic until minced. Add the broccoli and pulse until chopped. Add the parsley, basil, lemon zest, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon olive oil and puree until smooth, about 2 minutes; scrape down the side of the processor bowl as needed. If the pesto seems dry, add some of the cooking liquid. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl.
- Preheat the broiler. Halve the cooled potatoes lengthwise. Using a small spoon or scoop, carefully remove some of the potato flesh from each potato half, leaving a shell about 1/4 inch thick. Cut each potato half crosswise into 3 equal pieces. Put the potato pieces skin side up on a baking sheet and brush the skins lightly with oil. Broil until crisp and golden in spots, about 2 minutes.
- Turn over the potato shells on the baking sheet and fill each shell with about 1 tablespoon of the pesto. Sprinkle the filled potato shells with the cheese. Broil until the pesto is bubbly and the cheese is melted and golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve the potato skins hot.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.