© Marcus Nilsson
Potato Salad with Radishes and Sweet Pickle Relish
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR Plus 4 hr chilling
- SERVINGS: 6 to 8
Brian Perrone adds diced radish and smoked paprika to this otherwise classic potato salad. It’s a minor innovation, but it greatly improves the standard recipe.
- 3 pounds medium Yukon Gold potatoes, halved but not peeled
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 red radishes, 1/3-inch dice
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 1/2 medium red onion, cut into1/3-inch dice
- In a large pot, cover the potatoes with water, add a large pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cook over moderately high heat until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Shake the pot over moderately high heat for about 10 seconds to dry the potatoes. Transfer the potatoes to a large rimmed baking sheet and let cool completely. Peel the potatoes and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- In a large bowl, blend the mayonnaise with the relish, vinegar, mustard powder, paprika, black pepper, cayenne, radishes, celery and onion. Gently fold in the potatoes and season with salt. Refrigerate the potato salad for at least 4 hours or overnight. Serve cold or lightly chilled.
Make AheadThe potato salad can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.