- 4 pounds small red potatoes
- 1/2 pound lean bacon, preferably applewood-smoked, thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil or spicy mustard
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 small red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup onion sprouts, for garnish (optional)
How to make this recipe
In a large pot, cover the potatoes with cold salted water and bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 35 minutes. Drain the potatoes and, when they are cool enough to handle, slice them in half.
Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, cook the bacon slices over moderate heat until crisp, about 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels and coarsely crumble.
In a large bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the barbecue sauce, mustard oil and sherry vinegar. Fold the potatoes into the dressing while they are still warm. Let the potato salad stand, stirring a few times, until the potatoes have cooled and absorbed most of the dressing, about 20 minutes.
Add the celery, red onion, parsley and tarragon to the potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Let stand for an additional 20 minutes, stirring a few times. Garnish with the bacon and sprouts, then serve.
The ungarnished salad can be refrigerated overnight. Serve lightly chilled or at room temperature.