- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 russet potatoes (1/2 pound each), peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 2 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth, heated
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 375°. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the onion and thyme, season with salt and pepper and cook until softened.
Generously butter a 9-by-13-inch glass baking dish. Spread half of the potatoes in the baking dish and season well with salt and pepper. Spread the onions on top and cover with the remaining potatoes. Season well with salt and pepper. Pour the hot stock over the potatoes and press gently to even them out. Bake in the top third of the oven for 1 hour, or until tender throughout and crisp on top.