- 1 pound large new potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1/2 pound smoked mackerel or smoked trout fillets, skinned, flesh broken into large pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In an 8-by-10-inch gratin dish, gently toss the potatoes with the mackerel and bay leaves. In a bowl, mix the cream with the mustard and season with salt and pepper. Pour the cream over the potatoes and bake for about 1 hour, or until the cream has thickened and the potatoes are golden and tender. Discard the bay leaves before serving.
A not-too-fruity, slightly assertive white, such as an Alsace Pinot Blanc, balances the pungent, smoky flavors of the mackerel.