- SERVINGS: 12
Richard Avedon, photographer: "This pot roast has been lovingly eaten by 4 generations of Avedons."
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 7 pounds beef brisket
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 pounds onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- Two 16-ounce cans whole tomatoes, drained and crushed
- Two 8-ounce cans tomato sauce
- Preheat the oven to 325°. In a nonreactive roasting pan set over two burners, warm the oil over moderately high heat. Season the brisket with salt and pepper and sear it well, about 8 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add the onions to the pan and cook until browned. Set the brisket on top, add 1/2 cup water and the bay leaves; season with salt and pepper. Cover the pan with foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours. Turn the brisket and bake 1 1/2 hours longer. Remove the brisket and slice 1/4 inch thick. Stir the tomatoes and tomato sauce into the onions. Return the meat to the pan, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.