Pot au Feu of Chicken with Winter Vegetables
- SERVINGS: 8
- 8 cups Chicken Stock
- 24 baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 24 baby turnips, halved lengthwise
- 24 thin scallions, cut into 4-inch lengths
- 1/2 pound assorted small fresh wild mushrooms, such as shiitakes, chanterelles and hon shimeji, shiitake stems removed
- 8 boneless chicken breast halves with skin (about 6 ounces each)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a simmer. Add the carrots and cook over moderate heat until tender, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the carrots to a plate. Add the turnips to the stock and cook until tender, about 6 minutes. Add to the plate of carrots. Simmer the scallions for 5 minutes and add them to the plate. Simmer the mushrooms just until tender, about 4 minutes; add to the plate.
- Add the chicken breasts to the simmering stock and poach at a bare simmer until just cooked through, about 12 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes. Return the vegetables to the stock to reheat them; season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the skin from the chicken and slice each breast diagonally 1/3 inch thick. Divide the vegetables among 8 shallow bowls. Arrange the chicken over the vegetables and add the hot broth.
An elegant, mature red Burgundy with an earthy edge complements this refined country-cuisine dish.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.