Portuguese-Style Linguine with Clams, Chorizo and Tomatoes
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: 4
Plus: Pasta Recipes and Tips
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 pound chorizo, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 4 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded basil leaves
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 pound linguine
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Heat the olive oil in a large, deep ovenproof skillet. Add the chorizo and onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens and the chorizo begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cayenne. Arrange the clams in the skillet and scatter the tomatoes, garlic and 1/4 cup of the basil on top. Add the wine and roast in the oven, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir the clams and roast for about 20 minutes longer, or until most of the clams have opened.
- Meanwhile, cook the linguine in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
- 3. Drain the pasta and transfer it to a large serving bowl. Pour the chorizo clam sauce over the linguine, season with salt and pepper and toss to combine. Garnish the linguine with the remaining 1/4 cup of basil and serve.