Port-Glazed Walnuts with Stilton
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 35 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
Encourage guests to cut off small chunks of the Stilton and dip them in the port syrup.
- 2 1/2 cups walnut halves (9 ounces)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup ruby port
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- One 1-pound wedge of Stilton cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet and toast for 8 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, port, pepper and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.
- Add the walnuts to the saucepan, stirring to evenly coat them. Using a slotted spoon, drain the nuts very well. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the walnuts on it in a single layer. Bake for 12 minutes, stirring once, or until the nuts are mostly dry; let cool. Separate any nuts that stick together.
- Meanwhile, simmer the syrup over low heat until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes.
- Set the Stilton on a serving platter and place the walnuts in a separate bowl. Drizzle the port syrup over the cheese and serve with the nuts.