Port Caramel Sauce
- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes about 1 1/3 cups
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon ruby port
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- In a heavy, medium saucepan, cook the granulated sugar over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until melted. Continue to cook, without stirring, until an amber caramel forms, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the light brown sugar and stir until smooth. Return the caramel to the heat and carefully add the port; the caramel will harden slightly. Cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Add the cream and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Transfer the sauce to a pitcher and serve warm.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.