Porky Melt Sandwiches
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
These patty melts are a specialty of Top Chef contestant Dale Talde. He layers juicy, cheese-filled patties, sautéed onions and pickles on marble rye, which has a hearty flavor and cool swirled pattern.
- 1 1/2 pounds fatty ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground beef chuck
- 1/2 cup nonfat powdered milk
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Kosher salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, diced
- Vegetable oil, for greasing
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- Softened unsalted butter, for spreading
- 12 slices of marbled rye bread
- Mustard and thinly sliced pickles, for serving
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, combine the ground meats, powdered milk, spices and 1 tablespoon of salt. Mix at low speed until blended. Add the egg and cream and mix until incorporated. Mix in the cheese.
- Heat an oiled cast-iron griddle or grill pan. Shape the meat into 6 oval 1/2-inch-thick patties. Cook over moderate heat, turning once, until well browned and cooked through, 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate; cover loosely with foil.
- Add the onion and a large pinch each of salt and pepper to the griddle. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until golden and softened, 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Butter the bread on both sides. Griddle over moderate heat for 2 minutes, turning once. Spread with mustard. Arrange the patties on half the toasts, top with the griddled onions and pickles and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.