- One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- Two 3/4-pound pork tenderloins
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2 Thai, or bird, chiles or serrano chiles, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons boiling water (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 small cucumbers—peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped basil
- 1/3 cup chopped salted peanuts
- In a large bowl, mix 1/2 cup of the coconut milk with 1 tablespoon of the fish sauce, the coriander, curry powder and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. Add the pork and let stand, turning occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar with the remaining 1/3 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Simmer over moderate heat, stirring, just until the sugar dissolves. Add the chiles. Pour the dressing into a medium bowl and let cool.
- Light a grill or preheat a cast-iron grill pan. Grill the pork over moderate heat until browned all over and firm to the touch, about 15 minutes for medium. Transfer to a cutting board, cover loosely with foil and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium skillet. Add the shallot and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the peanut butter, red curry paste and the remaining 1 1/4 cups of coconut milk and 1 teaspoon of fish sauce. Simmer over low heat until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. If the sauce breaks, whisk in the boiling water. Add the lime juice and season with salt.
- Add the cucumbers to the dressing and toss, then add the cilantro and basil. Mound the cucumber salad in the center of a large platter. Thinly slice the pork and arrange around the cucumber salad. Sprinkle with the salted peanuts and serve the peanut sauce on the side.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.