- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Rick Bayless’s pork stew is smoky and delicious, especially when topped with avocado, cheese and onion.
- 1 1/4 pounds trimmed boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 3/4 pound red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large fresh chorizo, casing removed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- One 28-ounce can peeled Italian tomatoes, chopped and drained
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, seeded and minced, plus 4 teaspoons sauce
- Salt and sugar, for seasoning
- In a large saucepan, simmer the pork, marjoram, thyme and bay leaves in 4 cups of salted water, partially covered, until the meat is tender, 45 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pork to a plate; let cool slightly, then tear it into smaller pieces. Skim the fat from the pork broth; reserve 1 1/2 cups.
- In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the potatoes until just tender, about 8 minutes. Drain well.
- In a medium, deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the chorizo and stir over moderately low heat, breaking it up, until cooked through, 10 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add the pork and onion to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until well-browned, 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes and chorizo and cook for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, chipotle, adobo sauce and the 1 1/2 cups of pork broth; simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and a pinch of sugar and serve.
Fruity, rich Syrah.