- 1 1/4 pounds trimmed pork shoulder, cut into 3-by- 1/2-inch strips
- 1 large onion, cut through the root end into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed to a paste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup Greek-style whole-milk yogurt
- 1/2 European cucumber, seeded and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Warm pita, for serving
How to make this recipe
- In a medium bowl, toss the pork strips and onion wedges with the olive oil, lemon juice, chopped oregano and half of the garlic paste. Season with 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix the yogurt, cucumber, mint and the remaining garlic paste. Season the tzatziki with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large cast-iron griddle or grill pan until very hot. Add the pork and onion wedges along with any marinade and cook over high heat, turning once or twice, until the pork and onion are tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer the pork and onion to plates and serve with the tzatziki, lemon wedges and pita.