Pork Schnitzel with Warm Potato Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Way Wolfgang Puck of Los Angeles's Spago makes his schnitzel by deep-frying cutlets of Kurobuta pork, a deeply marbled heritage meat imported from Japan.
Easy Way Opt for boneless pork chops from the supermarket, pounding them tender. Pan-fry the schnitzel in a shallow pool of oil instead of deep-frying it.
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup canola oil, plus more for frying
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound small fingerling potatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs beaten with 2 tablespoons of water
- 2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- Four 4-ounce boneless pork chops, butterflied and pounded 1/3 inch thick, or eight 2-ounce pork cutlets, lightly pounded
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley, patted thoroughly dry
- In a medium bowl, whisk the vinegar with the sugar, thyme and 1/4 cup of the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the potatoes and garlic in a pot and cover with water; season with salt and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until the potatoes are tender, 10 minutes. Drain and thinly slice the potatoes; add to the dressing and toss. Discard the garlic.
- Put the flour, eggs and panko in 3 separate shallow bowls. Season the pork with salt and pepper and dip in the flour. Dip the cutlets in the egg and then in the panko, pressing to help the crumbs adhere.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/2 inch of oil until shimmering. Add the cutlets in a single layer and cook over high heat, turning once, until golden and crispy, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Add the parsley to the skillet and cook, stirring, until crisp, about 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the parsley to a paper towel–lined plate and sprinkle with salt. Serve the pork with the potato salad. Garnish with the parsley.
Vibrant, lemony Grüner Veltliner.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.