- One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, sliced 1/4 inch thick and cut into 4-inch strips
- 6-inch wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Cucumber sticks and lime wedges, for serving
- In a saucepan, combine the coconut milk with the fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar, curry powder, salt and white pepper and whisk over moderate heat until the sugar is dissolved, 5 minutes. Pour the marinade into a large bowl and let cool completely.
- Whisk the condensed milk into the marinade. Mix in the pork. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Light a grill. Skewer the pork and brush lightly with the marinade; discard any remaining marinade. Grill the skewers over moderately high heat, turning, until the pork is lightly charred and just cooked through, about 6 minutes. Transfer the skewers to a platter and serve with sliced cucumber and lime wedges.
The marinade can be refrigerated overnight.
Lively, berry-scented Italian red.