- 12 pitted prunes
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 English Breakfast tea bags
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch dice
- 4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- 4 medium turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- 3 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 small red onions, cut into 1-inch dice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 4-rib, bone-in pork loin roast (about 3 pounds)
- One 3-inch cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- In a saucepan, add the prunes, vinegar and 3/4 cup of water; bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Off the heat, add the tea and let steep for 1 hour; discard the tea.
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a pot of salted boiling water, cook the carrots, potatoes, turnips and celery for 2 minutes; drain and transfer to a roasting pan. Add the onions and stir in the butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- In an ovenproof skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Season the pork with salt and pepper and cook, fat side down, over moderately high heat until browned, 4 minutes. Turn the pork and cook until browned, 3 minutes.
- Set the pork in the center of the roasting pan, fat side up. Pour off the fat from the skillet. Roast the pork for 1 hour and 20 minutes, until it is almost done; return to the skillet. Increase the oven temperature to 450°. Roast the vegetables for 15 minutes, until tender.
- Add the prunes and their liquid to the skillet with the cinnamon; bring to a boil. Spoon the liquid over the pork. In the upper third of the oven, roast the pork for 8 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part reads 140°. Transfer the pork to a carving board and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Add the broth to the skillet and simmer, reducing the sauce to 3/4 cup. Discard the cinnamon; season the sauce with salt and pepper. Carve the pork into chops and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.